In today’s digital age, communication has evolved rapidly, and WhatsApp has been at the forefront of this transformation. Recently, WhatsApp introduced a new feature known as “WhatsApp Channels.” Here we will delve into everything you need to know about WhatsApp Channels, from its features to its impact on businesses and individuals.
What Are WhatsApp Channels?
WhatsApp Channels are a revolutionary addition to the messaging app, WhatsApp Channels are designed to be the most private broadcast service available, according to the platform. Build in a new tab called Updates – where you’ll find the Status and channels you choose to follow – separate from your chats with family, friends, and communities.
WhatsApp Channels are a one-way broadcast tool for admins to send text, photos, videos, stickers, and polls. To help you select channels to follow, we’re building a searchable directory where you can find your hobbies, sports teams, updates from local officials, and more. You can also get to a channel from invite links sent in chats, e-mail, or posted online.
How WhatsApp Channels Handle Privacy
As a channel follower, your mobile number and profile picture won’t be shown to the admin or other followers. Likewise, following a channel won’t reveal your mobile number to the admin. Who you decide to follow is your choice and it’s private. If you want to stop following a channel, you can easily mute or unsubscribe from it at any time.
Introducing WhatsApp Channels
At the same time, as an admin, you can create a Whatsapp channel using your existing account or a new one. You can also edit your updates for up to 30 days when they will be automatically deleted from WhatsApp servers.
Key Features of WhatsApp Channels
- Enhanced Directory: Users can easily discover WhatsApp channels based on their country, with automatic filters. Additionally, they can explore new, highly active, and popular channels based on follower count.
- Reactions: Users can express feedback through emojis, and the total reaction count will be visible without revealing individual reactions.
- Editing: Admins will soon have the ability to make updates for up to 30 days, after which they will be automatically deleted from servers.
- Forwarding: When forwarding an update to chats or groups, it will include a link back to the channel for easy access to additional information.
Which Countries have WhatsApp channels?
WhatsApp Channels are available globally in over 150 countries with updated features, including India. You can find Whatsapp channels to follow that are automatically filtered based on your country or search for channels by name or category. You can also view channels that are new, most active, and popular based on the number of followers.
WhatsApp has also welcomed celebrities, sports teams, thought leaders, and organizations, some of whom have launched their WhatsApp channels in India. The Indian cricket team, Bollywood actors Katrina Kaif, Akshay Kumar, Singer Neha Kakkar, Punjabi singer-actor Diljit Dosanjh, Telugu actor Vijay Deverekonda, and have launched their WhatsApp channels.
How do I get Channels on WhatsApp?
- Update your WhatsApp app to the latest version from the Google Play Store or the App Store. You can download it from here with the link.
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the Updates tab at the bottom of the screen. You will see a list of WhatsApp channels that you can follow.
- To follow a channel, tap on the ‘+’ button next to its name. You can also tap on the channel name to view its profile and description.
- To add a reaction to a channel update, press and hold on to the message.
How to Create a WhatsApp Channel?
- Open WhatsApp on your mobile, and go to the ‘Updates’ tab.
- Click on the plus (+) sign and then on ‘New Channel’
- Click on ‘Get Started’ after which the application will give some prompts onscreen
- Finally, give your WhatsApp channel a name and you are done
- Click on ‘Create Channel’ and it will be up and running
- WhatsApp is also offering users a way to ‘customize’ the channel. You can do so by adding a description and icon.
According to the platform, this is just the beginning, and WhatsApp continues to add more features and expand Channels based on feedback we get from users. Over the coming months, we’ll also make it possible for anyone to create a channel.