Tiktik Mobile App: The makers of the app Tiktik have tried to find a solution to this problem using data from TRAI.The telecom regulator releases a lot of data about networks, speeds, and connectivity, and finding the relevant information for your area and your network can be a challenge, but Tiktik automates the process so you can find the best network in your area.
The free app, available on Android, requires a somewhat frightening number of permissions to run, including the ability to access your accounts, contacts, location, SMS, phone, read and modify files, access storage, device ID, full network access, and so on.
That’s because the app also helps you to start the processing of porting networks and change other settings as well, but it is still hard to justify the level of access being given, considering that the primary function – of checking the network in your area, is accomplished by querying TRAI online. Here’s what the app’s Google Play listing page has to say on why these permissions are needed:
Tiktik Mobile App Can Help Find the Best Network in Your Area:
- Location: to identify the best mobile network wherever you are in India
- SMS: to send toll-free SMS to protect you against spam callers & balance cuts.We receive SMS, don’t read them. We need this for the port, control SIM features.
- Phone: to dial and check my best offers for you.
- Photos: to instantly share app insights with your friends. We will not access your personal files.
- Identity & Device ID: to send a few important notifications (not ads) to your email ID. No spam guaranteed.
- Contacts & Call-Log: for the fun-insights. This feature works even on airplane mode, we don’t access any personal information.
If you’re comfortable with the various permissions, then the app does actually work pretty well and is nicely designed too. When you start the app, you’ll see a list of languages to choose from – eight in total – including English, Hindi, and other Indian languages.
The first screen after that is a simple and easy to decipher screen that shows you the various networks in your area (picked through location detection), based on the data published by TRAI. This is based on TRAI’s Myspeed app and that means there is fairly detailed data from around the country, particularly in urban areas.Tiktik
is available as a free download on the Play Store.