Samsung has announced the launch of the Galaxy XCover 5, a rugged, yet sleek-to-hold smartphone that is engineered for use in tough work environments such as in the field and in factories. This is Samsung’s first rugged Galaxy smartphone after the Galaxy S7 Active smartphone, which they released back in 2016.
The Samsung Galaxy XCover 5 has a shock-resistant rugged exterior, that enables the smartphone to survive and withstand drops up to 1.5 meters. It is IP68 certified, which means it can be submerged under a meter of water for longer than 30 minutes. The display also features an enhanced Glove-Touch feature, which is useful for users who are required to wear gloves at work.
It is powered by the Exynos 850 processor, paired with 4GB RAM and 64GB internal storage. It comes with a replaceable 3000mAh battery, a feature that is essentially unheard of in modern smartphones. It can be charged either via the USB-C port or the Pogo pins on the bottom edge. Regarding cameras, it has a single 16MP rear camera with an f/1.8 aperture and a 5MP front camera with an f/2.2 aperture.
Samsung Galaxy XCover 5 Specifications
- 5.3-inch (1480 x 720 pixels) HD+ LCD screen, Wet Touch, Glove Mode, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Exynos 850 Octa-Core (2GHz Quad + 2GHz Quad) 8nm processor with Mali-G52
4GB RAM, 64GB storage, expandable up to 512GB via micro SD card
- Android 11 with Samsung One UI 3.1
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- 16MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, LED flash
- 5MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68), US Military Standard MIL-STD 810G
- Dimensions: 147.1 x 71.6 x 9.2 mm; Weight: 172g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 3000mAh removable battery with 15W fast charging.
The Samsung Galaxy XCover 5 will go on sale in the UK from 12th March, available online for a price of £329 (Approx. Rs. 33,245), and in Europe, it is available now for a price of €289 (Approx. Rs. 25,144). It will later be coming to other markets in Asia and Latin America.