Photographer G Venkat Ram has designed a unique calendar for 2020 for the NAAM Charitable Trust, Recreating Raja Ravi Varma Paintings with south Indian women actors and dancers to celebrate “the spirit of Indian womanhood”. NAAM, founded by actor-director Suhasini Maniratnam, is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year.
The limited-edition calendars and booklets featuring the 12 women were launched at The Folly, Amethyst, in Chennai on February 3. Proceeds from the sale of the items will be used to raise funds for empowering single women from under-served segments of society, a press release said.
Raja Ravi Varma Paintings famous paintings recreated for Calendar 2020 featured 12 women in the pictures actors Khushbu, Shruti Haasan, Ramya Krishnan, Aishwarya Rajesh, Samantha Akkineni, Nadhiya, Lakshmi Manchu, Lissy, and dancers Priyadarshini Govind and Chamundeshwari.
Raja Ravi Varma Paintings Recreation For Calendar:
- Samantha Akkineni – An expectant mother holding a fruit symbolic of a new life.
2. Lakshmi Manchu – Portrait of Rani Chimnabai 1 after whom Lakshmi Vilas palace in Tanjore is named.
3. Shruti Haasan – Portrait of Rani of Kurupam.
4. Priyadarshini Govind – Kadambari, Portrait of a modern, intellectual Bengali lady.
5. Chamundeswari – Portrait of Maharani Lakshmi Bayi who became the senior rani of Travancore.
6. Lissy Lakshmi – Portrait of a royal woman from Kerala inspired by Raja Ravi Varma ‘s style.
7. Aishwarya Rajesh – Portrait of a high-minded woman, the Rani of Pudukottai.
8. Khushbu – Portrait of a Maharashtrian lady after a temple visit.
9. Shobana – ‘There comes papa’ portrait of Ravi Varma ‘s daughter Mahaprabha.
10. Ramya Krishnan – Damayanti listens in rapt attention to the tales of Nala from the swan.
11. Nadiya – This painting reflects the private lives of women from different social backgrounds.
12. Shruti Haasan – Radha in the moonlight.
View this post on Instagram
Credits for the images:
- Photography: G Venket Ram
- Post-production: Disha Shah
- Styling: Amritha Ram
- Make-up & Hair: Prakruthi Ananth
- Calendar Design: Padmaja Venket Ram