Malaysian badminton legend Lee Chong Wei returned to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) facility for rehabilitation training on Friday for the first time since diagnosed with cancer last year. The 36-year-old shuttler was seen at the BAM’s Malaysian Badminton Academy’s gymnasium, reports Xinhua news agency. His last appearance on the field was at the Indonesia Open in July last year, where he lost to Kento Momota of Japan in the semi-finals.
Malaysian Badminton Player Legend Lee Chong Wei was diagnosed with nose cancer and has received treatment abroad. He told local Star newspaper earlier this week that he had been given green light to resume training. The former World No.1 and a three-time Olympic silver medallist is targeting to participate in the Tokyo Olympics 2020 and said he would begin training as soon as his health permits it.
The Malaysian Badminton Legend Lee Chong Wei said his first international tournament should be the Malaysian Open in April, where he won the 12th title last year shortly before being diagnosed with cancer. Men’s singles chief coach of Malaysia’s national team, Misbun Sidek, said BAM had given Lee Chong Wei the freedom to decide on the training schedule and tournaments to take part in this year.