Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched the YSR Jagananna Thodu Scheme to ease the suffering of the poor, moved by the plight of petty vendors and traditional artisans during his padayatra thereby fulfilling another promise made in the (YSRCP) manifesto. Through this scheme, the street vendors will be provided 10,000 rupees for their business. Jagananna Thodu Scheme gives relief to the poor from loan sharks who charge daily interest rates ranging from Rs 5 to 100.
What is Jagananna Thodu Scheme?
The Andhra Pradesh government released around Rs.1,000 crores to about 10 lakh petty vendors amounting up to Rs. 10,000 per person as interest-free loans from banks. Through these loans, street vendors and traditional artisans can expand their businesses. There will be a push through the loan so that they will not face any problems. From now onwards petty vendors and traditional artisans need not have to be at the mercy of anyone for their daily working capital needs. The Jagananna Thodu Scheme gives them relief from exorbitant interest rates.
Who is eligible for Jagananna Thodu scheme?
1. Persons running roadside tiffin centers, those who engaged in petty business either on the roadside, public area, or footpath.
2. Street vendors like fruits, food products, handloom, handicraft products, and vendors selling vegetables on push-carts.
3. Peripatetic vendors (Those who carry out vending activities with a small basket on the shoulder or head and travel from one place to another)
4. Mobile vendors (Those who carry out vending activities by moving from one place to another by vehicle)
5. Traditional occupations like lace-making, Kalamkari workers, Etikopakka and Kondapalli toys, leather puppets, pots, Bobbili Veena, and brass craft articles.
Procedure to identify Jagananna Thodu Beneficiaries:
1. List of eligible beneficiaries identified in the survey displayed in the Village or Ward Secretariats for social audit.
2. A dedicated portal www.gramawardsachivalayam.ap.gov.in launched for monitoring the implementation of the scheme.
3. Survey with utmost transparency by Village or Ward Volunteers to identify beneficiaries.
4. If the names of any eligible persons are found missing from the list of beneficiaries, they can apply at the Village or Ward Secretariats for immediate resolution of their grievances.
5. All selected beneficiaries are being issued smart ID cards with QR codes for coordination with bankers.
In case, an eligible beneficiary is left out, they can contact either Village or Ward volunteer or directly apply at Village or Ward Secretariats. Their application will be verified within a month and if found eligible, will be provided interest-free loans.
The Andhra Pradesh government will reimburse the interest component, paid by the beneficiaries, on a quarterly basis by depositing the interest amounts in their bank accounts directly. Beneficiaries will be eligible for fresh interest-free loans once they clear the existing loans. Jagananna Thodu Scheme Eligibilitypersons whose names are not found in the list of beneficiaries may dial the toll-free number 1902.
The Jagananna Thodu Scheme has emerged as a lifeline for street vendors in Andhra Pradesh, providing them with the much-needed financial support to thrive in their businesses. By promoting inclusive growth and empowering street vendors, the scheme is transforming livelihoods and contributing to the overall development of the state. With continued government support and effective implementation, the Jagananna Thodu Scheme can become a shining example of how targeted initiatives can uplift the lives of millions.
FAQ 1: Can non-street vendors avail of the Jagananna Thodu Scheme?
- The scheme is specifically designed for street vendors to support their livelihoods. Non-street vendors may not be eligible for this particular scheme.
FAQ 2: What is the interest rate charged on the loans?
- The Jagananna Thodu Scheme provides interest-free loans to street vendors, meaning there is no interest rate charged on the loans.
FAQ 3: How can street vendors apply for the scheme offline?
- Currently, the application process is available online through the official website of the Jagananna Thodu Scheme. Offline applications may not be accepted.
FAQ 4: Is there any collateral required for the loan?
- No, the Jagananna Thodu Scheme offers collateral-free loans to street vendors, making it more accessible to those who lack substantial assets.
FAQ 5: What are the key features that differentiate this scheme from others?
- The main differentiating factors of the Jagananna Thodu Scheme are interest-free loans, easy online application, and a focus on empowering women’s street vendors.